A film by Derek Jarman
“So cleverly surreal it makes Fellini look like Ron Howard!”
- Entertainment Weekly
“If I post this letter to New York, does that strengthen my conviction that the world exists?” Hilariously irreverent and delightfully unconventional, Derek Jarman’s last narrative film explores the personal and philosophical dilemmas of one of the most influential minds of the 20th century, Ludwig Wittgenstein. Convinced he had solved all the problems of philosophy with his first published work at the age of 32, he later became plagued by doubt and questioned everything—most of all the relevance of philosophy itself. With a unique lighting and stage design, Wittgenstein is a kaleidoscope of crisp, vibrant colors and inky blacks, beautifully rendered in a new restored transfer. Jarman’s legendary sense of humor and generous spirit shine through in this cheeky, touching and highly original portrait of a revolutionary thinker who preferred detective fiction and Carmen Miranda musicals to Aristotle.
DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Restored anamorphic transfer, created from Hi-Def elements
- Video interviews with Oscar-winning actress Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton), actor Karl Johnson and producer Tariq Ali
- Extensive behind-the-scenes footage
- Video introduction by film historian Ian Christie
- The Clearing (Alex Bistikas, 1994), a short film featuring Derek Jarman
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Liner notes by film critic/producer Colin MacCabe
Also available on DVD as part of the Derek Jarman GLITTERBOX box set and as part of the 6-film GREAT MINDS box set.
We can ship within USA and Canada only.
- Derek Jarman - Director
For press and publicity inquiries, please email [email protected]. A selection of press materials for this title may be available for download here.