“Spectacular, painterly camerawork… The mood is much like that of Caravaggio’s paintings—brooding, sensual, pagan in the extreme.”
Stewing in Rome’s underbelly during the late Italian Renaissance, Michelangelo da Caravaggio was plucked from the streets by the Catholic Church to paint austere Biblical exaltations. Derek Jarman masterfully captures not only his rampant flirtations with Roman counterculture, but also beautifully saturates the film with the same delicate attention to the chiaroscuro techniques the painter so expertly crafted. Starring 2007 Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton, The Chronicles of Narnia) in her debut film role, Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings) and Nigel Terry (Excalibur) in the title role, Caravaggio is a lush re-imagining of the volatile life of the 17th-century painter and his brilliant, nearly blasphemous works.
Also available on DVD as part of the GLITTERBOX box set.
- Restored anamorphic transfer, created from Hi-Def elements
- Video interviews with Tilda Swinton, Nigel Terry and production designer Christopher Hobbs
- Audio commentary by cinematographer Gabriel Beristain
- Rare audio and video interviews with Derek Jarman
- Storyboard, notebook, production photo and design sketch galleries
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- British theatrical trailer
- Liner notes by film critic/producer Colin MacCabe
- Derek Jarman - Director
For press and publicity inquiries, please email [email protected]. A selection of press materials for this title may be available for download here.